17.1.07

The 500 words we were asked for...

The research area I want to explore and exploit this year is related to the multiple interactions between language and studio work. This will not be reduced to investigations in literature or science as an influence, but will most of all consider the philosophical and artistic roots of postmodernism and the challenges it presented to contemporary culture.
One of the topics I would like to start with is the difference between language when written, spoken, absent, used for analysis and for the creation of will/difference in the creative process or even supporting an exhibition/project.
This will be approached initially from a deconstructive point of view and will probably develop and problematize Derrida and Deleuze’s thoughts specifically. During that process I hope to oppose those ideas to Roland Barthes structuralism and maybe even Freud’s psychoanalysis. The idea of the work as a semiotic object or as an unreadable text will probably be in conflict.
Friction will hopefully be one of my goals while writing this document. And I hope the rubbing between the formal (visual) and the conceptual (language related) issues will produce something I will be aiming to decompose and analyse. Maybe it will increase my “intellectual temperature” maybe it will just inform the way I present my work with words.
I believe the several approaches and references to Plato’s “mimetic critic” to art by Nietzsche, Susan Sontag and Deleuze will be part of this performative writing project. It might make sense to approach a few other problems related to how clearly things are said or written by taking in consideration Wittgenstein’s rigid approach and Derrida’s loose attitude which gave the reader interpretative freedom.
Art historically I will be paying careful attention to Installation art (and the way it was historically influenced by language) and to specific movements such as Art & Language.
The reason why I believe these subjects are so important for my practical work is because I’ve been perceiving a big connection between the way installations are experienced by an immersed observer and the way I experience language (as a reader or a writing student). Besides the resemblances I believe there are between those processes and the way they mutually influence each other, there are also conflicts and mutual aggressions I am extremely interested in.
I also have high expectations on books I’m reading on imagination, coincidence and vast areas I’ve researched to a certain extent such as New Historicism, Criticism, Hermeneutics and Phenomenology. I will also be sensitive to discussions and journals I’ll engage with and make sure those become part of the process of writing possibly using new atmospheres and forms of writing such as “chat computer programs” (i.e. msn messenger, etc).
Finally I would like to put forward the possibility of exploring only one of these topics if it becomes crucial or maybe exploring exclusively a couple of philosophers such as Nietzsche and Heidegger because of their extreme importance and complexity.

No comments: